Old December 25th 03, 07:32 PM
jmcquown

rachel polanskis wrote:
In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

It's a delicate balance between these two, particularly since Persia
has been ill. I suspect she thinks she's being supplanted by the
bird, which is not at all true. Persia is my baby.

Persia may be your baby, but the parrot will demand 100% of your
attention, or they will go slowly insane, or sulk with jealousy until
it pulls all its feathers out.

I would love to keep a parrot, but they are very highly strung
animals which bond extremely tightly to their keepers and can
become very demanding. One would hope the bird and Persia bond
a bit to each other, such that they keep each other company.

rachel

Actually, Peaches (a small Nyasa lovebird) is doing quite well with all the
toys in her cage and my trying out various veggies and fruits as treats for
her. She does not demand constant attention at all, although I talk to her
every time I walk by the cage and she greets me with chirps when I come home
from work.

And Persia has settled down. She knows she still has my affection. We
snuggle on the sofa and she purrs while I read.

Lovebirds and cats cannot mix and become friends. Perhaps this is unlike
other parrot species. According to what I've read cats harbor a bacteria
which is harmless to them but can be deadly to lovebirds.

When Persia goes to nap in my bedroom I shut the door and take Peaches out
of her cage. Peaches is very young and still getting used to being handled.
But it's all working out just fine. Thanks for the input. Happy Holidays!

Jill