Old October 7th 03, 03:48 AM
F. Robert Falbo

In message
,
"Linda Terrell" wrote:

I can't see whre the Petmate would be any
different from what I have, save more $.

Both the LitterMaid & Performa have their weaknesses
It looks like the PetMate people tried to address some of
the problems with the LitterMaid, but introduced thier own.

While the LitterMaid's rake can be removed, it's a pain.
Performa's rake is an easy lift-out. BUT... Performa's
teeth are farther apart, and let more "stuff" through,
which leaves more broken "chunks" all over the pan.

Also, the motor in the Performa is pathetically underpowered,
so if more than one cat goes before the next sweep, it may jam
the rake at the end ramp. This happens way too much.

Pluses go to Performa for putting the drive mechanism outside
of the pan - no need to clean the track. But then, they have
the rake stop about 1/2" short of the storage tray's lip, and
some clumps just sit there, keeping the lid open.

IMO, The storage on the LitterMaid is better thought-out than
the one on the Performa. Both are large enough, but for multi-
Cat families, the bags on the Performa are clutzy at best.
We're a multiCat family, with multiple "boxes", and so we use
shopping bags for crap disposal, emptying the boxes into a bag
and into the garbage. The LitterMaid makes this easier for me.

The Performa leaks less litter onto the floor by virtue of its
outer cover. Here, the LitterMaid could take a hint, but in a
day to day multicat environment, the LitterMaid wins.

--
-bob-
MICE Newsreader - Powered by BeOS 5.03 Pro