Old October 22nd 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Default can on Prozac for inapprop peeing

Christie, I had a cat on prozac because he sprayed. It really helped curb
his spraying. I don't know why your doctor told you that your cat could
only be on it for 6 months and then take a break. I have never heard this
before and I was consulting with a reknown animal behaviorist. My cat was
on prozac for over a year with no problems. One thing you should do is
annual blood work to make sure your cat's kidneys and liver are functioning
okay. Your cat should stay on the prozac until the problem is
corrected...then you wean her off slowly.

Of course you should also be doing behavior modification techniques in
addition to the medication.

S.

"Christie" wrote in message
My cat has been on 1ml of Prozac now for almost 4 months. For the most
part she has stopped her inappropriate peeing around the house, except for
a couple times (it used to be daily).

The doctor said she can only be on it for 6 months at a time before there
has to be a break. Has anyone else had any other type of luck with a
behavioral problem like this, and what other than Prozac has helped?