Old September 22nd 04, 08:29 PM
CatNipped

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
news
Now I know which scene. Yes, I guess it bothered me too.

I grew up sort of a farm kid. We had a working farm for a while (circa
1950), and even after my dad gave that up and went into corporate life
we still lived in the country and had animals. We used to butcher
chickens and that never bothered me. But we raised a calf for meat and
when the time came we couldn't butcher it. We did sell it, and I
suppose it ultimately was butchered. For years therafter we'd
speculate on whether we were eating "Sammy" when my mother served
roast beef.

Times change, and sentiments change. Thirty years ago I was an avid
hunter. Now I live in a heavily wooded suburb and take more delight in
feeding the squirrels, rabbits, and deer than I would in using them as
food.

Dick

I live with 4 carnivores and 1 other omnivore, and was also reared in the
country, so I take a more prosaic view on this topic. I have no problem
with hunters who hunt for food (my daughter and SIL always have a freezer
full of venison and wild boar and this helps tremendously with their grocery
bills for themselves and their 3 daughters). I *do* have a problem with
hunters how hunt for "sport" or trophies (although if you watch a cat hunt,
you will see them "play" with their prey - does anyone here know if the
extra adrenaline thus produced by the prey adds flavor or a necessary
ingredient to a cat's diet, is that why they do it or is it just for fun??).

We live in a world that is dominated by the food chain, a natural
progression of eat and be eaten (and despite what you've heard, man is not
always on top of the food chain). If it's a matter of killing in order to
continue living then I'm not going to volunteer to cease living. Man was
evolved to exist on a varied diet including meat. Today we have the luxury
of being able to take diet supplements or to vary our diets to include
vegetable proteins, but this is only a recent development. I think that,
for the people who do purchase meat at the grocery, to denigrate those who
kill their own food is being hypocritical - but to be fair, neither cattle,
chickens, goats, or lambs (among other domesticated food animals) are being
threatened by extinction, but there are some hunted animals that are.

Hugs,

CatNipped