Old May 27th 12, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default horrible yowling outside

"MLB" wrote in message
On 05/27/2012 09:02 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Like a cat fight. I was fairly sure Boyfie was in, as he was an hour
ago,
but it's hot and the door is open.
I rushed out to make sure it was not him. It was.
He does not like to fight, and he came hurtling in when I opened the
front
door, as it was happening on the front. He rarely goes out on "the
front"
which is where the road is.
Anyway he must have done, and somecat jumped on him. He's a bit
shocked.
I tell him always to go out the back where there are nice acres to
roam
in.
Never go out the front, although a car an hour would be unlikely.

I don't know if he's been bitten by this cat, or even if the fight
was
his
fault.
I want to say it isn't his fault, but who knows if they are enemies
in
what
is my garden and what is his its nothing to do with our boundaries.

I hope he's OK! Will he let you check him over for bites?

Yes, probably, I will wait until tomorrow. He's gone to his bedroom
and
will leave him there. He is not a fighter and he is shocked, let him
sleep
to get over it.
He's like me. We want a quiet life.

A preventative dose might be in order. Claw marks might not be easy to
detect and abcess can take a while to develop. By-the-way, that is
what
"dirty old tom cats" do (the kind you were wishing for) -- they fight
other males for domina

nce

My wish for a dirty old tom cat, as you call them, was only because I
would
like to transform the d o t's life. He'd be neutered and would have a
happy
life here. Anyone can adopt a cute kitten. It does not make a
difference
to a sad life if you adopt a perfect cat.
The fact that I wished for a dirty old tom did not make one come here and
fight Boyfriend. It could have been any cat, neutered or not. It could
have been a fierce girlcat like KFC!

Tweed

Yes, Christina, I have been the caretaker of innumerable cats in my
life. They have all been adoptees or strays or

ferals. I have seen horrible abcesses among the ferals. We also lost
our ginger tom to an bad abcess that would not heal. This was before
antibiotics.

I like to think I did make a positive change in the life of the cats.
Sadly, I learned that you can't save them all. At one time a stray tom
sneaked into the house and snatched a newborn kitten from its mother. She
fought it like a tiger. The kitten, however died, but she did save the
rest.

And that's why I'd prefer to rescue an unneutered tom. To stop that sort of
thing happening - and to make his life better by giving him the snip.