Old July 8th 07, 04:17 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default The things you come across on Usenet (cats)

On 8 Jul, 02:48, bookie wrote:
On 7 Jul, 13:36, Baldoni wrote:

I would never let any of my cats wear a collar.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/control-pet-cats/

Saying that the people in the UK are watched and spied upon by Govt
agencies, who knows what is next. Camera's in trees !

--
Count Baldoni

what a load of ********! I too would never oput a collar on a cat, I
think it is unnecessary and utterly inhumane to put something like
that on any animal, trying to mark out another animal as something we
'own' when i believe that no animal onthis earth has to right to think
it 'owns' any other, utterly despicable practise.

it won't go through anyway, and the concept behind it woudl contradict
the ruling that a cat 'owner' cannot be held responsible for the
actions of said cat if it enters a neighbours property and/or damages
that property as the cat is a semi-wild creature which cannot be
controlled inthe same manner as a dog can. If this is accepted then
the proposal that cats must wear collars on order for the owners to
control their behaviour is absurd.

for the reasons I ahve put above and those stated by sheelagh i abhor
collars on cats and i will never put one on a cat who lives with me

bookie

Here, Here.

There is nothing like watching a vet with a scalpel trying to separate
a collar from the cats neck, because it was leather, too small & the
cats flesh growing over it. Asphyxia is a terrible way to die, & would
most certainly happened to Lucy(fur!) had it now been removed when it
was. Having said that, what I should have said was, either die from
the infection the ill fitting collar caused, or asphyxiated!!

Whilst I understand reasons stated for a cat being allowed to wear a
collar, I don't necessarily agree with them. If you have an indoor
cat, why would your cat need a collar? And, If you allow your cat out,
then why not chip your cat instead. It is easily defined when read by
a chip reader.

The argument about hunting birds is moot. Cats hunt. It is in their
instinct to hunt, & I honestly don't think that it would make any
difference to birds, unless every single cat were made to wear
them..which in itself is unworkable because cats are abandoned, not
cared for by some owners. Also, who would take the responsibility for
the feral cat population? Unless the powers that be, decided to have a
mass cull which would cause a public uproar. For the reasons I have
outlined I see this as unworkable & unfeasible too

Whatever anyone says about using safety collars, really does need to
see the consequences of what a collar can do to a cat or kitten,
before making a judgment on whether it is the right thing to do, or
not as the case might be. If one were to argue that it marks ownership
& The address of whom the cat belongs to- Chip your cat. Simple
really!

I think that I could agree to chipping a cat, however, culpability for
the cats actions is another issue entirely. You can't possibly make he
owner responsible for the cats actions. As stated, it is a semi wild
creature.
The next thing we will hear is that there is going to be a Hedge Hog
tax. utterly ridiculous!!
Sheelagh