Old October 7th 16, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

Default Marlo returns?

On 10/6/2016 2:28 PM, Bastette wrote:
dgk wrote:

We're about 30 miles south of West Palm Beach and it's supposed to be
worse up there. 30 miles doesn't sound like much but it seems to be
making the difference for us. We'll mostly get the wind from the north
which should slow it down as it goes overland, and certainly plenty of
rain but we're used to plenty of rain. They're saying 8-12 inches,
again that's a lot but it can rain 4" in an hour without a hurricane
and not be that unusual.

So we figure that Mom and Marlo will sit it out in their house and
I'll be with Scooter, Baby, and Nipsy. Likely no return of Marlo this
time around but we'll see as Matthew comes closer.

One thing to keep in mind is that forecasts aren't always accurate. I
remember a hurricane that was predicted to hit Boston really hard, back
in the 80s. I and my ex and the kitty holed up with all the supplies we
figured we'd need, as did everyone else in the area. But when the storm
hit, it wasn't much worse than a heavy rainstorm with stronger than usual
winds. It was a relief, but it also showed me that you can't believe
everything the weather service has to say.

OK, that was 30 years ago, and maybe their prediction methods have
improved. But if I were in your position, I'd go ahead with having your
mom and Marlo stay with you. If the storm ends up being as weak in your
area as they're saying it will be, they can just go back home afterward.
But if they're wrong, wouldn't you rather have them with you?

OK, end of unsolicited advice. Just my thoughts.

My brother refers to weather forecasters as "weather guessers". Really,
that's all they are. They are making an educated guess, based on the
current situation and on what has happened in the past in similar
situations, but it is still a guess.