Old July 16th 03, 05:24 AM
Juls

Default Anal sac and polyp problem

Hi everybody. Dmitri and Jack are still TOTALLY in love and send their
warmest wishes and headbutts to everyone! I apologize for not being
around more often, just have been way too busy with stuff.

Jack is the happiest boy in the world....just so incredibly happy and
content. Dmitri too. (And Jack now has me totally wrapped around his
paw)

Anyway, Dmitri (about 14 yo) has had an ongoing problem with his anal
sacs. I've tried adding heavy pumpkin to his diet, and nothing seems to
really help other than regular visits to the vet for an expression. I
confess that I don't go as often as I should, because it's just so
traumatic for both of us. He screams and I cry. (Seriously...the
assistants always come at me with kleenex)

I've investigated having his anal sacs removed surgically, but
everything I read seems to indicate it just makes life worse for the
cat.

But what I'm really worried about is this polyp that is on his rectum.
The vet has kept an eye on it, and didn't see it as a problem (in fact,
two vets in the same office who have expressed him), and that as long
as it didn't bother him or take off growing, just to leave it be
because of his age and the risks of anesthesia.

But I think it's growing. I'll take him back for another expression as
soon as I can get in with a certain doctor (she has a gentler touch
than the others in the office, but still hurts him so much), and I'll
express my concerns to her.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with anal (rectal)
polyps on cats and how that went. Is there anything I should be
particularly worried about or watching for that might be a sign it
turned cancerous?

Other than his anal problems (and he also gets constipated and has
itchy butt, plus sometimes he 'scoots' his poop out on the carpet,
which breaks my heart), he's in pretty good shape for his age. Some
arthritis, but loves to eat and play with his little brother Jack. And
loves to play with his catnip pillow and smell catnip as much as he
can.

I've tried various high fiber foods, hairball formulas, etc. and I
regularly give him (them, since Jack has to have whatever Dmitri has)
pea baby food. Fortunately they love it.

I'm just looking for any other ideas on the anal sac thing, but mostly
what to do about the polyp (and I guess I'm wanting someone to say it's
no big deal, just looks gross, but don't lie to me...lol). If he
weren't so old, I'd just say let's remove it, which is really MY
problem not Dmitri's. Do you think it bothers him? ARe these things
painful? If it's just cosmetic, I can live with that.

Thanks everybody...I'm a worrier.

Juls, Jack and Dmitri