Old November 14th 03, 04:14 PM
Steve G

(GAUBSTER2) wrote in message ...
(...)

Studies comparing Eukanuba (an IAMS product) to Dog Chow for tartar reduction
saw Dog Chow beat Eukanuba!!

I can only comment on the literature I have seen for the Iams Daily
Dental Care (or whatever it's called) in particular. I have not yet
seen any bumph about Eukanuba products. Eukanuba Iams, although
they are owned by the same company.

I don't remember the %s.

But do you remember the cite ...?

IAMS products will pass the stringent critieria that comes w/ VOHC testing,
but we'll have to see. Perhaps Steve Crane knows more about this?

Consulting the VOHC web site (
http://www.vohc.org) we see that to be
approved, the diet must show a 10% reduction in plaque and/or tartar
buildup when compared with appropriate controls, over a minimum test
period. This difference must also be statistically significant. Note
also that the assessment of buildup is subjective.

Given that the Iams blurb claims a 40% reduction, it seems quite
possible that they could meet the above requirements. If I were a
betting man, I would bet that Iams will submit data to get the VOHC
seal. But I'm not. So there.

It also seems
that Iams dry would fit the bill for dental health stuff, even though
it has not yet passed VOHC protocols.

Well, until it does, it really can't be recommended for "dental health", now
can it?

That depends on whether you believe the 40% figure quoted in the Iams
literature. I suppose they could be lying, eh...? Maybe it's all a
conspiracy...

Steve.