Old April 23rd 09, 06:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

Default Cat has CRF

On Apr 23, 1:18*am, Kolbard wrote:
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 03:47:18 GMT, "Phil P."
wrote:

Her K+ is already way too low as it is- even without fluid therapy she
urgently needs a K+ supplement. *Fluid diuresis and especially intense
diuresis will increase K+ excretion and depletion even further, so she
*definitely* needs a K+ supplement *urgently*.

I just checked the test results page, and the listed normal range for
K+ is 3.7-5.8. *Hers was 3.8 at last test. *Are these supplements
readily available from vet clinics?

Kolbard

----------------
Yes. You can get the potassium supplement in the form of Tumil K
(which is a pill), a powder (Vet Solutions Renal K+ plus, which
supposedly has a beef flavor, but my cats hated it), or as a gel
(don't get any gel other than Vet Solutions Renal K+ - there is a
different gel which has a horrible smell and flavor). If your vet
doesn't carry any of these, they are easily accessible on the internet
from any number of sources.

http://www.amazon.com/Renal-K-Potass..._bxgy_k_text_b

Under the circumstances, I would have them shipped next-day air. If I
were you, I would go with the Vet Solutions Renal K+ gel. I used to
use this gel, and it worked out well. I currently use the Tumil K
pills for my cats only because the pills are cheaper, and I don't have
a problem pilling my cats. You can put the gel on your cat's paw, and
she will hopefully lick it off. If she doesn't, you can measure it
into a large oral syringe and squirt it in her mouth. The normal dose
is 2.5 mL (1/2 teaspoon) twice daily.

BTW, I am stunned that the price is only $7.99 + 6.16 shipping
(regular ground) from Medivet (sold through Amazon.com). My vet used
to charge me $21 for the same thing! At this price, I may return to
the gel.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.