Old August 11th 03, 02:54 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , BrandyÂ*Alexandre at
? wrote on 8/10/03 7:34 PM:

bewtifulfreak wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

I'm not an extremist, but the fact is, most countries have banned
declawing for a reason, and many vets have expressed their
professional opinion that declawing is harmful to a cat, that it
can cause a lot of pain, and often psychological and/or behavior
problems. I don't see why they would do this if it was just a
matter of personal preference. Considering how rarely governments
consider animal rights, the fact that so many have considered
declawing harmful enough to ban it sends a very strong message,
and there are certainly a number of fact-laden articles all over
the 'Net (many by vets) supporting that viewpoint. There is also
a great deal of anecdotal evidence regarding the aforementioned
psychological and behavior problems, much of it from shelters
dealing with the fallout of this proceedure.

That is the reason it's very difficult for most people here not to
get angry, extreme or resort to name calling when they hear of
people trying to justify the proceedure; it is unneccessary, and
there is a lot of evidence which supports the idea that it can
cause a cat a lot of misery. And as this group is full of animal
lovers, it angers them to hear people trying to justify an
unecessary procedure that makes innocent animals suffer....that's
only natural.

Ann

Some European countries banned the use of nickel in their coins. You
cannot take a Vicks inhaler to Japan, nor can you take nail glue (krazy
glue). Every country has its forbidden things that simply do not make
sense to the rest of the world. Some countries EAT cats and dogs.
Some countries are starving and won't eat cattle, for heavens sake.
Some Asian countries think it's insane that we drink milk because their
bodies are complely intolerant of lactose.

There are regional and cultural issues surrounding everything we do and
one country will be in line with it while another will not. Glom on to
whatever fits within your ideal, but don't discount everything that
does not as "just wrong." Because by and large it isn't. It's just an
opinion. How many industrialized nations are there in the world
anyway? Twenty of them have banned declawing. Half of them admit
there's still an underground for it and the results have been similar
to the banning of abortion--disfigurement and death. If that's what
you want to happen to cats, fine. I think you're cruel.

We aren't talking abut ONE country but rather every country except the US
and Canada.

Karen