Old June 11th 04, 06:46 AM

Default Hartz Kills... *Again*

From: http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...22/detail.html

Cat Dies After Getting Over-The-Counter
Flea Treatment
Vets Warn Some Animals Can Have Adverse Reactions

WELLSVILLE, Kan. -- A family's beloved cat died this week, shortly after
receiving an over-the-counter flea treatment made by Hartz, KMBC's
Krista Klaus reported.
According to local veterinarians, the treatment can cause reactions in
pets, ranging from seizures to death in rare instances.

Kelly Sturdevant and her kids buried their Siamese cat, Mariah
(pictured, left), in their back yard in Wellsville, Kan.
Sturdevant said Mariah died a few weeks after she was treated with Hartz
Advanced Care flea and tick drops for the first time.

"She stopped eating and she was throwing up," Sturdevant said. "I kind
of feel like it was my fault. If I didn't put it on her, she'd still be
here."

Mariah's owners took her to a veterinarian, and the cat was put on an
intravenous drip for four days, but her liver gave out, Klaus reported.

The vet said Sturdevant wasn't alone.
"He'd had several reports of cats coming in who had that stuff applied
to them," Sturdevant said.

Vets at a specialty clinic in Overland Park said they see at least one
or two cases of toxic reactions to similar products every month. That's
why Dr. Jean Greek advises her clinets to stick with prescription flea
treatments.

"Over-the-counter products have a much less safe track record than
prescription products do," Greek said.
Greek added that the makers of over-the-counter flea treatments will
reimburse pet owners for vet expenses in the case of an adverse
reaction. In Sturdevant's case, that amounts to about $300, Klaus
reported.

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing