Old June 11th 04, 10:03 AM
KellyH

wrote in message

From: http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...22/detail.html

Cat Dies After Getting Over-The-Counter
Flea Treatment
Vets Warn Some Animals Can Have Adverse Reactions

WELLSVILLE, Kan. -- A family's beloved cat died this week, shortly after
receiving an over-the-counter flea treatment made by Hartz, KMBC's
Krista Klaus reported.

snip

The vet said Sturdevant wasn't alone.
"He'd had several reports of cats coming in who had that stuff applied
to them," Sturdevant said.

Vets at a specialty clinic in Overland Park said they see at least one
or two cases of toxic reactions to similar products every month. That's
why Dr. Jean Greek advises her clinets to stick with prescription flea
treatments.

"Over-the-counter products have a much less safe track record than
prescription products do," Greek said.
Greek added that the makers of over-the-counter flea treatments will
reimburse pet owners for vet expenses in the case of an adverse
reaction. In Sturdevant's case, that amounts to about $300, Klaus
reported.

I don't understand how these OTC flea treatments can still be out there when
*one* vet practice is seeing adverse reactions one or two times a month. If
most vet practices see reactions at the same rate, that's cause to pull the
stuff off the market in my book. I'm sure the family is comforted to know
they'll be getting $300 from Hartz. sarcasam It's really sad,
well-meaning pet owners think they are doing the right thing by treating
their cat, and it can kill them. Are dogs having the same bad reactions,
just curious.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net