Old August 23rd 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Default Picky eater

On 22 Aug, 18:01, Dom wrote:
I need help. I'm pretty new with cats. I have two. One is
overweight and I try to give him a strict diet of high protein low
carbs canned food. But the other is normal sized, and he is a VERY
PICKY EATER. All night long he cries, but when I put out food he
smells it and turns away. I can't tell you how much food I've
wasted. I'm afraid he is not getting enough to eat, and I'm getting
very frustrated with him.

When I got him at PetSmart, they told me too only give him Purina One,
but he turns away from that too.

How do you find out what a cat likes?

when did you get these pusscats? how long ago? recently? could it just
be that he is still unsure of his new surroundings?

try any kind of wet food, really pungent stuff, tuna, sardines, cheese
even, mackerel, roast chicken ( i defy any cat to hold out against
roast chicken slices).

my jessie is picky sometimes, sometimes turns her nose up at stuff she
normally likes just for the hell of it I suppose, and terri does this
annopying things of lickign the jelly off her chunks sometimes then
leaving the meaty chunks to go dry before bothering to try eating them
and not really liking them much (surprise surprise). I have considered
just buying her some aspic jelly. i ahve to mush up her chunks with
the jelly so she eats it all, very tedious but then that's what i am
there for.
of course if it is whiskas 'oh so fishy' or 'oh so meaty' poouches,
any flavour, then the whole lot disappears in seconds, no mushing
required.

heating wet food for 15 or so secodns in the microwave will help the
aroma be released from the food and make it more appetising which
might help. are you feeding her any wet food or is it just dry?

you coudl also try ranmdom stuff like raw egg yolks (no whites though)
or plain yogurt (although jessie does like hazlenut flavour).

best of luck and don't worry as no cat will starve itself to death
bookie