Old May 21st 04, 12:03 PM
Mary

"mjoann" wrote

It is now 5:00 AM and he is nearly a day and a half. With every day he

gains (and weight) I will feel a little
easier!

Bless you for caring for him. One thing--he needs to eat every four hours,
as you know. That makes it impossible when you work. I dropped a kitten a
mother cat abandoned off at the vet every day, and they did a feeding while
I was at work. they didn't charge much.

I know you are bracing yourself, as well you should be. The behavior you
describe sounds so familiar--this little pregnant calico that stole my heart
by approaching me one night as I came out of a restaurant (she did that
hoppy kind of head bump where they are on their back legs when I reached
down to her) proceeded to have seven kittens in my one bedroom apartment at
a time when I worked full time and went to school. I worried because she
only had six nipples, of course, so I watched to make sure all the babies
were eating. It seemed like overnight one was smaller than the rest and she
had turned her back to him. When I placed him back with her, she moved the
nest and left him alone. I was so upset, took him to the vet, got formula,
and gave him his own little box and a heating pad. I was feeding him one
morning and the telephone rang so I put him down in his little box and went
to get the phone. By the time I had gotten back she had placed him in the
litter box! It was as though she knew something was wrong with him.

Still, when he died at five days old I was really devastated. It is even
harder when you watched them be born. I hope your little one makes it. We'll
be rooting for him.

---