Old December 19th 05, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Ping Phil, Cheryl and other - The diarrhea is over - now what food to change for skin problems?

" wrote in
oups.com:

wrote:

Now - where to go. Some would recommend the Hills Science Diet
dermatology.
prescription diet. Others suggest going with Lamb and Rice (I'm not
sure which brand). My vet suggested a venison and peas diet. Others
say to go with the Wellness brand, as it's more of a natural
formulation.

Wellness isn't any more "natural" than any other brand, that's just
marketing.

Any other suggestions? Nutromax?

Nutro tends to be much higher in salt, calcium, and phosphorus than
necessary.

Does anyone know anything about the Dick Van Patten Allergy line for
cats? It's a Venison and Peas mixture.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/allergy/VenCat.html

How old is the cat? I'd stay away from the Dick Van Patten line. Who
makes this food, do they use a fixed formula, what kind of nutritional
expertise can they claim?? What does your VET think? There is a new
derm line from Hill's (d/d) that has almost double the Omega 3 fatty
acids and higher levels of antioxidants that help nourish the skin and
support the skin barrier. The nutrient levels are more precise for an
adult or senior cat as well. Those flavors come in Venison and Green
Pea, Rabbit and Green Pea, and Duck and Green Pea.

Is this only available from vets by prescription?