Old January 14th 10, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Arrrgh! Frozen water pipes! (sorta ot)

On Jan 13, 6:50*pm, hopitus wrote:
On Jan 10, 7:48*am, Mishi wrote:

It got down to a balmy -13.5 F here in frozen central New York, and our
water pipes froze. I discovered it when I went to get the cats some
fresh water - I am not a happy camper! We had some spring water so the
crew got some clean water, and now I am melting snow for flushing. This
also happened about 3 years ago, and we almost caught the house on fire
trying to get them thawed. I kept telling DH that someone needed to get
under there and insulate the pipes, but he didn't take the hint. (very
low crawl space) According to the daughter of the people who owned the
house before, there used to be an access door to that part of the
crawlspace in the kitchen, but the company who 'remodeled' the house
before we bought it covered it up with luan and vinyl flooring. We have
all the cabinet doors open to (hopefully) let some of the heat from
inside get to the pipes.

The cats are wondering what their old water dish is doing on top of the
kerosene heater, what that white stuff in it is, and why does it make
hissing noises?

I just love this! (NOT)

Mishi

It stayed around minus 12 and15oF here for over a week, and below
freezing
several weeks. In this condo and elsewhere, pipes don't jut
*freeze*...they BLOW.
The HOA pays for the water bill so anyone who knows whazzup keeps a
narrow
stream of water out of all faucets which I was told early on prevents
what i saw
not long after moving here....one of the end units tenants (not its
owner) banged
on my door one night (many units in one one building) and dragged me
down to
her bottom floor apt. where water was shooting *sideways* from a blown
pipe
just behind her medicine cabinet in one bathroom. I thought, "no way
is that
happening to me" and Snaggly loves to get in the sinks and lap the
falling water
from his own little waterfails.
I have learned a lot of strange things since living here, mostly in
winter, and this
is one of the least annoying "musts". Wearing ugly Canadian-made
rubber boots
to go outside *for any readon* when it gets icy is one of the more
annoying. Don't
get me wrong.....Thank God for the Canadians who make Sorel boots, if
not for
them, I would probably have a fx hip or worse by now but them boots
don't slip, eh?- Hide quoted text -

I fall down all the time, even on dry pavement. I always have. I think
I have
horrible balance, DH says I just don't pay attention. Anyway, I stay
off the
ice, period. I fell last year just going out to the car. One minute
I'm
bopping down off the porch thinking about going somewhere, and the
next
minute I am flat on my back. It happened SO FAST.
My first thought used to be "Did anyone see me?"
Now, it's "Did I break something?" LOL.
My good friend a few years older than me says she knew she was old
when
she stopped singing in the shower 'cuz she was afraid she'd fall. :-)

Sherry