Old November 20th 03, 06:18 PM
PawsForThought

From: Alison Perera lid

,
olitter (PawsForThought) wrote:

From: "Knack"

I can get it locally for only US$1.00 per 15 ounce (425g) can. It has a
light tomtato gravy, but no vegetable oil. Like canned salmon, it includes
bones that are somehow softened by the heating-canning process. Contains
lots of protein, calcium, and fish oil. Comes from Chile.

Just wondering about its magnesium content. Keep in mind that a jack
mackerel is only a 11" (28cm) fish that doesn't live for anywhere near as
long as a tuna.

This is a cooked human food? I would only give it to a cat as an

occasional
treat, not as his regular diet. Cats have very specific nutritional needs
very
different from our own.

Lauren, do you supplement omega-3 fatty acids? If so, how?

I do use whole body fish oil in capsule form. I'm highly allergic to fish so I
can't feed my cats any fish. My husband handles the fish oil

Personally, I feed my cats the occasional meal of canned oily fish:
salmon or mackerel. Cheaper and more available than uncooked fish; more
palatable; less prone to being contaminated by flukes (since we eat
wild-caught Alaskan salmon in my household).

Yes, cooked human food.

They say mackeral can be high in mercury and other contaminants, I guess
depending on the source, but I don't think an occasional meal is going to hurt.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe