Old August 16th 11, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Cats and hummingbirds

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Aug 15, 11:57 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
I have a tall cat tree with a platform on the top. It's about two feet
from a window. Outside the window are two large hummingbird feeders.
The hummers are swarming around the feeders. Tiger seems to have no
interest in watching them (Amber is not able to get up there). Wouldn't
you think he would be interested?

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

It's funny the things they ignore when I think it is something they'll
just go
nuts over. We are having a grasshopper plague, and sometimes as
we come in the door, a grasshopper or two get in the house. I swear,
the
cats (all of them)....just look at it like "ewwww."
I have a hummer feeder too; last year I remember they did like waching
it.
This year has been so dry that the honeybees have nothing to forage,
and
they've taken over the feeder.

Sherry

I don't get honeybees at the hummingbird feeder. Honeybees are harmless,
helpful creatures I was getting wasps and yellow-jackets at mine. They
sting! And ants. The wasps were chasing away my hummingbirds! I swapped
out the old feeder for a Hummzinger feeder to thwart them. It sort of looks
like a flying saucer from a 1950's movie No more wasps, no more ants.
It works!

But Persia still doesn't notice the hummers unless she's specifically
looking in that direction.

Jill