Old March 3rd 14, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

Default Feline bladder cancer

On 3/2/2014 9:53 AM, cindys wrote:
[..] including an ultrasound, and the diagnosis was bladder cancer. It
looks fairly advanced to me on the ultrasound; it looks like the tumor
is occupying 2/3 or 3/4 of her bladder. Considering her age and other
health issues (not a surgical candidate at all), I have agreed with the
vet to limit her treatment to meloxicam (similar to piroxicam).

This site mentions that piroxicam seems to work better. Worth checking
out to see if there are any studies. Though with either of them, with a
cat already in CRF, you might give meds for stomach before it becomes an
issue:

http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat...bladder-cancer

Here is my concern: On the basis of my past experience with feline end-of-life issues,

= I always feel that I wait too long to euthanize. My worst fear is that
my cat will suffer,

No personal experience, but I sent a 16 yr old cat on early who had
nasal lymphoma. I just could not stand her having a tough time
breathing, and the end, like your situation would have been an
emergency. Besides, the only way she would eat is if I would pill her
every other day with steroids and an appetite stimulant. It got so if
she would see me she'd get up and leave.

You might check out these sites:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...carcinoma.html

http://www.petplace.com/cats/urinary...ats/page1.aspx

It's not clear to me if all bladder cancers are transitional cell or
not. I think a week for a repeat ultrasound is too soon. I think it
will be hard to measure, unless the cat is is the same exact position,
and you might not gain any info at all.

I'm sorry about your kitty. The best to you and her in the coming days.

buglady
take out the dog before replying