Old October 6th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Edna Pearl

Default My cat has "bald-belly syndrome"

One of my three DSH's, a black 9yo neutered male named Ted, recently started
licking the hair on his tummy excessively, leaving a large, downy area of
near-baldness. He also "scrubbed" a couple spots bald on his right foreleg.

I took Ted to the vet yesterday, and was told he doesn't have any sign of
any dermatitis or allergy or skin problem -- it's "bald-belly syndrome."
The vet prescribed 2mgs of Valium for one week, 1 mg for an additional week,
then recheck.

An Internet research reveals that bald-belly syndrome is basically the
feline equivalent of obsessive-compulsive disorder. I read that Valium and
Prozac are sometimes use to treat it.

I've been under a lot of stress in recent months-- personal and family
tragedy, illness, and loss, etc. And stress is contagious. Poor Ted caught
it from me. I feel guilty, I guess.

This particular cat and I are very close. F'rinstance, he sleeps on the
pillow by my head at night. His "baseline" personality is that he is very
vocal, skittish, and goofy -- and he only lets me and sometimes my SO touch
him. Now, with a snootful Valium, he's more whiney, less skittish, clumsy,
and totally glued to me -- on my lap or underfoot at all times, crying when
not.

I would be glad to hear from anybody who has been through this with a cat.
It's just breaking my heart.

ep