Old March 14th 10, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
starcat

Default how to give a pill

"YvonneD" wrote in message
I need to give my cat Pepcid twice a day. I've been fairly successful
but I wondered if there was an easier way. Right now I hold him in my
arms, face up and put it on the back of his tongue. Sometimes he
spits it out but usually he swallows it. the problem is, he is pretty
big and picking him up isn't easy for me. I'd like to do it while
he's standing if at all possible. If not, then I'll keep doing what
I'm doing.

I don't want to mix it with food or a treat since it's supposed to be
given before food.

He is very gentle and will let me do whatever so there's no concern
about him hurting me. I'd just like to make it as easy on him as
possible but do it so he doesn't spit it out.

thanks

I'm a big fan of Greenies Pill Pockets. They're soft and squishy, and it's
easy to hide a nasty tasting pill inside. I often only use half of the
pocket and pill the cat - cats don't eat the pill pockets like the
manufacturers want you do believe - but it's easier for me to use these than
a pill popper or just pilling the cat with nothing to disguise it. I had a
cat with lymphoma who was on several pills daily, and I relied on those pill
pockets the two years he lived after diagnosis. Oh yeah - he was on Pepcid
too. Great little pill, that Pepcid - it helped him lots.