Old May 1st 06, 01:35 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Uneaten canned food

"Kiran" wrote in message
I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...

Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
lid?

Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
prices!)?

Hi Kiran,

Many cats (my Cheetah is one) enjoy their wet food a bit more gamey.
Cheetah licks the jelly off her food, waits for it to 'ripen' a bit, then
comes back and devours most of what's left. This doesn't mean you should
poison your cat with putrid food, but let her decide to try again later.
My Cheetah yowls at me crossly from her dish when she wants fresh, and she's
even dragged me in from the garden if I've missed her dinner time, so I know
she's not forcing herself to eat rotten food. I've never met a cat who
would. Don't be too ready to snatch up uneaten food until you've given her
chance to eat it. When either of my cats are fussy, I simply refuse to feel
guilty (they're very well cared for) and I serve their next dinner at the
appropriate time. Yes, occasionally I throw away an uneaten dinner, but
it's always at the next meal time, not in response to pussy pathos.

Yes, of course you can refridgerate uneaten food. It must be covered, and
cling film is fine. When you want to serve it again, be sure to let it come
to room temperature as most cats prefer their food this way. Having said
that, my ex Tiggypuss loved his dinner straight from the fridge, so maybe
try this as well. You already know that your puss will tell you if she
doesn't appreciate it.

Try not to worry. It's easy to be governed by pussy pathos but, when you
know how, it's easier still not to be. Another quick tip: don't watch kitty
eat - would you like it? - put her dinner down and walk away, so she's knows
you mean business.

Hope all goes well,
Spider