Old January 5th 04, 04:26 AM
wumpygirl

"GovtLawyer" wrote in message
If you live in an area where, for whatever reason, you feel unable to
allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for at least some time each
day (and only you can judge your area) then don't have a cat. To have
a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in 24/7 marks you are being
cruel, selfish, or both.

I'll agree to the selfish part. Yes, I am selfish. I have decided to

take an
animal (in this case two homeless animals from an animal rescue service)

and
keep them locked in my home; for my own selfish amusement. They give me a
great deal of enjoyment; they are funny, and warm, and friendly, and in

short .
. . just great to have around. I am keeping them captive, quite possibly
against their will.

In return for their captivity;I feed them better than they would ever eat

in
the wild, I take them to an animal doctor on a regular basis and keep them

in
better health than they would have in the wild; I keep them warmer or

cooler
than they would be in the wild, depending on the season; I keep them away

from
predators bigger than they are; I buy products which I know they would

like or
would amuse themselves with; and, they will likely live twice as long as

they
would in the wild.

What does this have to do with cats being allowed to spend some time
outside?

NO, I am certainly not cruel! Its funny, but I did not invent the idea of
keeping pets. For all of my years people have kept pets; in fact, they

have
been doing it for a very long time. So, I have taken pets which are

already on
this earth and made the trade I've outlined above. It would be cruel of

me to
let them go out into the city at will, and invariably shorten their lives.

It
would also be doubley, no tripley cruel of me to allow them to go into the
night and either get knocked up or do the same to another animal, so the
population of unwanted animals could explode.

Sounds to me like you're just looking for an arguement.

So, now that you've taken the liberty to call me selfish and cruel, let me

ask
you a question. You sound like an outdoorsman! Do you hunt?

Bob doesn't need to hunt for total ignorants like yourself.

Do you happen to be into fishing?