Old January 6th 15, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
whisky-dave

Default Controlling fleas by humidity

On Friday, 19 December 2014 18:35:35 UTC, John Doe wrote:
I do believe that fleas were my male cat's problem, but also possible is
reducing airborne allergens by keeping humidity in check. It probably
was fleas, but in any case I'm convinced that keeping humidity below 50%
for many months is responsible for greatly improving my cat's skin
condition.

Start by buying yourself a cheap humidity meter! Or buy two, to check
that it's reasonably accurate.

When it's cold, keeping your house warm apparently will keep the
humidity low. Static electricity indicates very low humidity.
Conversely, in the summer so will running your air conditioner. Check it
and see!

I have RL at about 25%-38% since mid december and my cat has fleas and is an indoor cat only venturing out as little as 10 mins every two weeks or so.
Low humitidy 20% is bad for humans in that it cam lead to dry skin, headaches and various other alments aren't helped by low humidity.

I can't see how or why fleas would be that concerened with humidity.

keywords... scabby cat disease fleas skin condition causes excessive
licking feline eczema miliary dermatitis lesions millet seeds crusty
scabs frequent grooming chewing relieve itching irritation extreme
itchiness constant scratching severe infections infestations insects
mites lice underlying cause bacterial fungal yeast allergy allergies
hypoallergenic diet parasites rinses shampoos sprays powders worms

I just got wind of the idea that fleas can be controlled by humidity.
We have a very hot summer and I've been using the air conditioner a
lot. It removes tons of water. My male cat's skin condition has
improved to nearly 100%. Apparently it's a seasonal thing. I'll be
prepared from now on. Will use a dehumidifier as needed. Apparently
keeping humidity below 50% nukes fleas. Sounds like a great solution.
No steroids. No chemicals.

Just bought a humidity meter.