Old October 7th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Default Cat-proofing for the holidays

I would not put up a tree with a kitty that young - you are asking for
trouble until they are at least three - and then they still need some
training!

On Oct 6, 7:52?pm, "GaryT" wrote:
Our relatively new (7 month old) cat is still somewhat feisty. Outside she
is a tree climber, inside she likes to get up on counters and explore when
we are not around to supervise, which means of course that things get pulled
off, including having broken three flower vases. In anticipation of the
holidays, we are looking for suggestions for keeping her out of the
decorations. In particular, keeping her out of the Christmas tree and the
risks of tipping it over, breaking ornaments, etc. We would prefer to not
resort to the negative type suggestions - "just don't have a tree, lights,
etc" - unless there are no other alternatives. We have seen unbreakable (and
unfortunately ugly) ornaments. Some way to discourage her from even entering
that room would be ideal, but some kind of tree guard or other suggestions
to prevent destructive behavior are appreciated.

Gary