Old October 31st 03, 12:54 PM
Roby

turn man wrote:

My cat is being tested for HCM and I was wondering if there are any cat
owner's out there who have cats with this disease? If so can you tell me
what kind of lifestyle your cat leads and how old I can expect my cat to
live with the disease?

Thanks!

My Maine Coon male was diagnosed with HCM in May of 2000. He was six years
old then. He's been on 4mg of Diltiazem twice a day since, with ultrasound
checkups every 6-9 months. The only symptom of HCM he has ever shown is
the tell-tale heart murmur, which is still there but not worse. Otherwise,
he's fine: no coughing, etc. He's an inside-only cat, as are his two
fellow cats. Doc said cats can have long lives with HCM if properly
medicated. So far, so good over here.

Incidently, the vet who originally diagnosed HCM recommended a human-sized
dose of 30mg but said it would make Pooka drowsy and we'd be best off to
not begin the medication until the HCM got worse (!!!). I found another
vet. A compounding pharmacy makes up the kitty-sized dose in #4 gelcaps
that go down easily and don't make my pal into a zombie.

I hope your does as well!

Roby