Old October 4th 03, 06:42 PM
Hank

I recently made a contraption out of cardboard boxes that seems to work
pretty well.

The concept is to have a large enough box to fit the litter box in and high
enough for standing/squatting room. I keep the box covered to keep him from
jumping out. I then cut a door in the side and forced him to walk zig-zag
like thru 3 other narrow but somewhat long boxes (about 2 1/2 feet long by
10" wide). These boxes are placed side by side longways and have carpet cut
to fit in them to catch the litter as he walks thru. I, of course, made
doors in these boxes so he could get around, and put light holes in. I put
another piece of carpet outside the entry door for good measure. So
basically, I force my cat to walk over about 8-10 feet of carpet before he
re-enters the human living areas.

This has proven to be pretty effective. Of course, I'll have to shake out
the carpet pieces periodically, but I think it will beat the alternative. I
got real tired of sweeping up every day and inevitably stepping on those
granules with my bare feet.

Okay, I'm hoping some of you creative cat owners have come up with a
solution to the inevitable litter trail that seems to surround any litter
box. I have a large Booda brand covered litter box, outside of which I've
put two large carpet samples and one of those rubber litter catching pads.
There is still litter all over the floor every day! It was okay when I
had the litter box in the garage, but now it's got to either be in my second
bathroom (which I will probably have to move because as you're sitting on
the toilet you have to directly face the litter box--ugh!) or in my office,
which has wood floors. Is there any way to contain the litter effectively
that is not going to look awful!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Kirsten