Old May 8th 05, 02:36 AM
jmcquown

Yowie wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

However, Australian parakeets and English Budgerigars are not. I
don't even
want to think about it.

Sorry to change the subject...

What is the difference between Australian Parakeets & English
Budgerigars? I ask because the budgerigah is a native bird to
Australia, and I thought 'parakeet' was just a synonym for
'budgerigah'. Still, considering the massive amount of breeding that
has been done, the may well be as different now as a chihuahua and a
great dane. I was just wondering how they are distinguished? (or it
was a turn of phrase you used?)

Yowie

The difference is the colours and some breeding traits. Apparently English
Budgies have been bred to have slightly more prominent foreheads and to have
have much larger cheek spots than a wild Australian parakeet. They also are
presented at shows in different shades.

However, parakeets have also been bred to be different shades; they are
slightly smaller and have a less prominent forehead than Budgies. But not
necessarily less prominent cheek spots.

I have a book which differenciates the shadings and types of parakeets and
budgies. Frankly, I don't care; I love all the little critters

Jill