Old June 5th 10, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Default Laxatone

Suddenly, without warning, KenK exclaimed (6/5/2010 10:05 AM):
Rene wrote in
:

Strange - previously she's only had hairballs once a year or so - but
then I had her on canned and dry food until early last year, now only
Wellness canned. Her hairballs started when I switched her to
Wellness. Seems she's getting everything bad this past year -
diarrhea, dental problems, now hairballs. I fix one thing and that
causes another problem. sigh

I've had the opposite experience with Wellness. Ours rarely have
hairballs since I've had them on Wellness and some Evo.

Try and space the Laxatone doses and feeding, since it prevents some
nutrient absorbtion.

I do that.

Have you thought about giving her a little butter a couple of times
per week instead of oil?

Well, I gave her a 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Laxatone yesterday evening, a second
small dose. I also started putting 1/4 tsp. olive oil in each of her
three meals, which she doesn't seem to mind. No vomitimg last might. I'll
stop the Laxatone for now and continue the oil. I'm keeping my fingers
crossed. From what I found with Google it seems some cats' hairball
problems respond well to this. If the olive oil works for a few weeks
I'll think about butter. But AFAIK olive oil is healthy. At least it is
for people. Maybe cut the olive oil to once or twice a day. I'll see.

Poor Emily!

I might try the olive oil for Meep. I have a salmon oil spritz I got in
one of those expensive pet specialty stores (not the big ones, local
place). I've been mixing her laculose with it, but about out of
lactulose and I think the vet said it's hard to get these days.

Olive oil isn't - it's the only cooking oil we use, so it's not like
I'll ever run out.. and it'll stretch that expensive salmon oil a good
bit more.

The salmon oil thing was to try to tempt her to eat more. Seems to help.

jmc