Old March 31st 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default My new fake cat

Mark Edwards wrote:
I ordinarily have three or four feline "helpers" near my desk at
home. I cannot have cats at work (darn it!). So I thought I'd get a
stuffed cat for my desk. It looks like this (pardon the quality of my
camera phone's images):

http://tinyurl.com/lagt8
http://tinyurl.com/nhf2r

The online product image is he

http://tinyurl.com/zyja8

I installed the batteries, sat it on my desk, and watched it out of
the corner of my eye. Just like a real kitten, it sleeps on top of the

current book on my desk, it breathes in and out (hence the batteries
-
they say it should breathe for about three months on life support),
and it feels soft to the touch.

It came in a cardboard carry crate like you get at an animal adoption

center, cutesy instructions, and a certificate of adoption on which
you can write your new zombie cat's name.

From the documentation (my comments in brackets):

"Perfect Petzzz (sic) need very little training to remain the
"perfect" pet. Each one was individually tested in Austin, Texas
before being chosen for adoption."

[As long as the command is "sleep", obedience is outstanding. All
other attempts at gaining obedience are exactly as successful as with
real cats]

"Your pet has already been trained to go to the bathroom ONLY when
you are asleep, so it won't even bother you."

[No doubt so it can bury the results under your pillow - just like a
real cat!]

The cat does look realistic, except under close examination. If you
turn it upside down, it looks sadly like the cats who failed to cross

the road.

It also goes a long way toward fixing the "phantom cat" feeling I
get, from expecting a cat to be underfoot, when no cats are in the
vicinity.

In short, I like it. Bonus: the receptionist was speechless when I
showed it to her - whether in sheer admiration of my genius, or
complete, disgusted acceptance of my cat-dorkiness, she failed to
say.
As a denial survival mechanism, I'm going with the first choice...

No animals, real or hallucinatory, were harmed in the making of this
post.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Cute lil buggar.

But the fur - I'm assuming it is man-made fake fur, not the fur that comes
from China that could possibly have been someone's pet once, right? Hard to
tell from a picture....