Old March 23rd 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Poe

Default We had to say goodbye to Boo

cybercat wrote:
It was a tumor that had grown into her jaw bone, and the bone was necrotic.
Again, I am amazed at the way cats can hide pain. She scampered and
frolicked and was her usual self even for part of yesterday. The vet said
that these types of tumors are almost always fatal, and that our only option
would be to take her to the vet school here in Raleigh and have them remove
part of her jaw.

It was very hard to take her and not come home with her. We knew that if we
brought her home it would be for US, not the best thing for her. She could
have lingered and suffered for weeks, maybe months. It was not fast but it
was peaceful.

For those of you who think giving an animal this last precious gift when
they are suffering costs so much you would rather let them linger, it cost
$30. If we thought we could give her anything but a lot more suffering, we
would have spent everything we have to fix this thing. We felt we owed her
more, we felt that our pain at losing her sooner, horrible as it is, was
better than causing her, allowing her to suffer more. We feel that what we
are going through now is a small price to pay for all those years of fun and
laughter and love.

Thanks to all of you for your kind support and prayers. She was the coolest,
most ferociously loving little cat. There is a huge hole in our home and in
our hearts.

It's the hardest part of having a 4-legged family member, but it sounds
like you did the right thing. My thoughts are with you, I know how hard
it is what you're going through now. Hang in there.