Old March 27th 13, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Diabetic Cat question

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 00:06:33 -0700 (PDT), IBen Getiner
wrote:

On Mar 3, 8:10*pm, wrote:
I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed last week. *We have been giving him insulin shots twice a day. *His litter mate, a female (both are 8 years old) has been hissing and growling at him since we returned from the vets. *They both went to the vets for their regular checkups, so its not like he came home from the vets to a cat that hadn't gone. *My question is, can the insulin make a cat "smell" different, that would cause the hissing/growling? *My vet had never heard of anything like this. *I would love for this to stop as they have always been very affectionate toward each other. *The only time they ever did this is when one went to the vets and the other stayed home.

How come you let it get fat.....?

I have a fat cat. Three of my cats were grazers, they would eat a bit,
leave, come back for more later. One would eat as much as she could
like there might never be another meal. So what can I do? I leave out
the food so the others can graze and Marlo eats too much and gets fat.

We play and try to keep her active. But she gets fat even if she
doesn't eat more than the others. Some cats, like some people, just
get fat.

I have a cousin who was obese and recently (over a two year period)
lost maybe 140 lbs. She's now pretty normal size but has to eat almost
nothing to avoid gaining weight. There is just something about her
metabolism that causes her to gain weight. If she eats what I eat,
she'd be right back where she was before.

But if you really want to lose weight, don't eat meat. I know quite a
few vegetarians and none over overweight.