Old July 9th 03, 08:18 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:32:09 +1000, "Purplecat"
wrote:

Hi,
One of my cats has got black crusty bits on the fur on her chin. I believe
this is a sign of overactive sebaceous glands/cat acne. Can anyone confirm
this? The only time I've come across cat acne before it was a lot more
obvious than this, but cleared up in a week or so with daily cleaning and
bathing with a very mild antibacterial soap - it was many years ago now
though and I can't remember what soap I used. Has anyone got any
recommendations?

Thanks,
Purplecat

Here are recommendations I've received from my vet and a knowledgeable
friend for my cat's acne.

Use a triple antibiotic ointment to clear it up first.
Then, to prevent return, wipe under the chin with a cotton ball soaked
in rubbing alcohol (which the cat will hate, but it works better) or
with hydrogen peroxide.

HTH

Ginger-lyn