Old July 10th 04, 06:51 AM
Brian Link

Default ethics followup: Not the same cat

My wife and I went with great trepidation down to the rec center where
the neighborhood kid had seen the "missing cat" poster.

It wasn't the stray we've adopted. Much ado about nothing.

Well, maybe not nothing. It got me worked up again about how careless
some folks are with their pets. We adopted a stray several years ago
that was on death's doorstep - a raging infection, worms, mites,
everything. We coaxed him back to health and he turned out to be the
most loving, wonderful cat I've ever owned. Three years after his
adoption he developed some horrible FIV-like disease, and we had to
put him down, but he lived three years longer than he would have, and
he didn't have to spend another Minnesota winter outside.

But we later found out his origin.. a neighborhood family just decided
they didn't want a cat, so they let him outside and never let him back
in again.

I just hope we can get this current guy to live amicably with our
other two cats. I let him out for a peek at our bengal the other day,
and he zapped him like a cobra, wounding the bengal's ear. I'm
expecting a long, careful quarantine and introduction...

BLink