Old March 6th 06, 07:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Female Torti Calico acting weird while in heat

Hi - Please don't chop my head off or anything.... BUT! I have a female
Tortoise shell Calico who is not spayed and will be 2 years old in May.

WAIT - she has an appointment tomorrow for her boosters and pre-op, she is
being spayed next week. I wanted to wait until after she was out of heat
because I heard (not sure how true it is) that her reproductive organs are
more swollen during her heat than after. I have NOT allowed her to become
pregnant. I have taken in several kitties over the years.

My question is this - Is it normal for her to "spray" while in heat? (I use
the term spray for lack of a better term.) She has been in heat several times
and has never "sprayed" anywhere, but for the past week I have been closing
doors and keeping her out of rooms to prevent her from marking anymore of
what she thinks is her territory. I thought it was Mojo, the male, but I
caught her mid-stream. My other female never did this or any other cat I have
ever had. Usually spraying is attributed to my males’ right around the six-
month old mark. I was wondering if maybe it might be an upper urinary tract
infection or something instead of her being in heat. Just curious... She is
going to the VET tomorrow; I simply would like some feedback on the behavior
part.

Thanks.