Old May 24th 09, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default stray tomcat and interferon revolt

"calvin" wrote in message
On May 23, 3:09 am, "Phil P." wrote:
What's the problem with administering IFN PO 7 on/7 off? Its no different
than if your cat had some other illness that required daily medication.

Because of what I read on the internet.

*Where* on the internet? Post the URLs. Does the information apply
*specifically* to cats? I think the information your read was extrapolated
from human studies.

If you want reliable information that pertains specifically to cats, read
Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook. Plumb's is the #1 veterinary drug
handbook.

"Adverse Effects/Warnings - When used orally in cats, adverse effects have
apparently not yet been noted. When used systemically in humans, adverse
effects have included anemia, leukope*nias, thrombocytopenia,
hepatotoxicity, neurotoxicity, changes in taste sensation, anorexia,
nau*sea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, "flu-like" syndrome, transient
hypotension, skin rashes and dry mouth. Except for the "flu-like "syndrome
most adverse effects are dose related and may vary depending on the
condition treated."

"When used orally in cats, adverse effects have apparently not yet been
noted." Is that clear enough for you? If not, see the #2 veterinary drug
handbook: "Saunders Handbook of Veterinary Drugs" by Mark Papich- Professor
of Clinical Pharmacology at NC State.

"Adverse Effects

Adverse effects have not been reported in animals. In humans, IM and SC
administration are associated with influenza-like syndrome. Many other
adverse effects have been reported in people, including bone marrow
suppression."

Now you have information from *reliable* sources. Now what's your excuse?
If you're going to believe what you read on the internet- at least make sure
its from reliable sources and pertains to *cats*.

It IS different from
another illness, because the vet said it is incurable;

So are diabetes, heart disease, CRF and a list of other diseases.

though
I'm not convinced that he has it.

I told you, tell your vet you want the IFA (immunofluorescent antibody
assay). A positive result means the infection has reached the bone marrow
and the cat is persistently infected.

I want to know about
symptoms, not about a test result.

You're *still* not getting it! The reason for giving your cat interferon is
so he *doesn't develop symptoms for a longer period of time* and may even
help your cat clear the virus. If you wait for your cat to develop
symptoms- it will be too late- interferon won't help at that point.

You should research FeLV so you understand how the disease progresses-
because you obviously don't know what your dealing with. There are 5 stages
of the disease- You have to stop it at Stage 2 and no later than Stage 3.
Here's a brief outline:

(1) viral replication in tonsils and pharyngeal lymph nodes;
(2) infection of a few circulating B lymphocytes and macrophages that
disseminate the virus;
(3) replication in lymphoid tissues, intestinal crypt epithelial cells, and
bone marrow precursor cells;
(4) release of infected neutrophils and platelets from the bone marrow into
the circulatory system; and
(5) infection of epithelial and glandular tissues, with subsequent shedding
of virus into the saliva and urine

An adequate immune response stops progression at stage 2 or 3 and forces the
virus into latency. Persistent viremia (stages 4 and 5) usually develops 4-6
weeks after infection, but could take as long as12 weeks. You're cat could
be persistently infected but asymptomatic for weeks to months or even years-
depending on the virus subgroup.

Now do you understand what the rush is to being IFN therapy?

and that (if what I read is true) will make the cat
sick continuously

You've been misinformed or you misunderstood what you read. The 7 on/7 off
protocol doesn't make cats sick. I've treated literally dozens of FeLV+

cats
with higher doses PO and *never* had a problem. A few cats lived ~6 years
post diagnosis, other lived 3-5, and some cats extinguished the infection-
however, I can't say

The leukemia test was done overnight, so I assume it was
what you call the Snap test.

The Snap test takes only 10 minutes.

Why should I not just continue

with the antibiotics as prescribed, and then have the vet look
at the cat again?

I didn't say you stop the antibiotics. Definitely finish the full course

of
antibiotics. But there is no reason why you shouldn't begin the IFN
therapy.

I see the cat up close and personal every

day, and he doesn't seem sick to me.

FeLV+ cats can remain asymptomatic for months to years- but they're still
sick. IFN therapy might prolong the period that your cat is asymptomatic.
IFN doesn't work in every cat- but it works in enough cats to justify

using
it.

His skin and fur

look and feel better to me, though they have a ways to go
before they look completely okay, he has a huge appetite, and
loves to be rubbed all over. If he was listless and not eating,
that would be different.

You're not getting this, are you? The reason for beginning IFN therapy

now
is so he might remain asymptomatic longer.

As long as the cat is improving, I don't see a need to rush
into anything that will make him sick.

7 on/7 off won't make him sick. I've treated enough cats with this

protocol
to know what I'm talking about.

I can't do the low-dose
thing until the vet provides me with what is to be used.

Of course.

Vet has already provided me with the 7-on/7-off
prescription and directions. Googling it shows
that it's the high dose. You call it the low dose.
Since I don't know whom to believe, I will continue
refusing to administer it.

I asked you to post the dose and route of administration the vet wrote on
the perscription but you did not. I'm asking you again: Post the dose in IU
and route (PO, SC, IM).

snip

I know we're not comunicating well.

I know- and its all my fault. I must try harder to be more tolerant of
obtuse and obstinate people.

Phil