Old October 4th 04, 02:47 PM
drew

(Luramao) wrote in message ...

I had a cat whom I took to the vet last year thinking it might be for
euthanasia; he was very old and had been very sick for a very long time,
and seemed to be nearing the end. However, on the way to the vet,
somehow he KNEW, and he began looking me at imploringly, pleadingly, and
I couldnt do it. He ended up living another 4 weeks, mostly spent
peacefully sleeping; he didnt seem to be suffering or in pain, and in
the end, he just went to sleep one night and didnt wake up. I was very
glad I left it up to him as to when to go......

Yeah, my cat would know too. Fortunately, I think she'll live a while
yet.

I would prefer for her to guide me, but, if I have to make the decision,
if she is suffering or in pain, if she has to be put down, I'm thinking
I want it to be done with a captive bolt pistol. I believe, and I have
also heard a vet say, that this is the quickest, least traumatic way of
doing it. It is instantaneous and the animal doesnt see it coming.
I've heard that it can be difficult to find a "pet" vet who has a
captive bolt pistol tho. Has anybody ever had a pet put down this way?

I'd have a hard time doing it but if it's as fast and instantaneous as
you say, then I would. My old cat deserves the very fastest way out
and I want her to have no idea when it's coming. Wish somebody would
do it to me in my sleep when I'm ready to go. I can see it with
livestock but with a little cat, wouldn't a big old bolt practically
blow the little chap's head off? I don't mean to be crude but I would
imagine for a small animal it would have to be a different guage than
something used for a cow or a sheep.