Old February 10th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Tapeworm passed whole

wrote:
Well, I've googled the heck out of this topic, and about all I can find
is the phrase, "very rarely whole tapeworms can be passed". If anyone
has more details, I'd be grateful!

Yes, they can be passed whole - usually it's a sign that the
infestation is pretty bad. Did you get oral meds or an injection? The
oral meds need to be repeated in a couple of weeks - usually the
injection does not, but sometimes does in cases of heavy infestation.
I would continue to monitor the cat to see if he is still passing
segments (which contain eggs). Yes, your cat is at risk for tapes
because the segments have been in the environment and he could have
easily ingested the eggs. I would call your vet, explain what happened
and see if you can just pick up some meds to ensure your cat doesn't
get a full-blown case (assuming your cat has been seen in the last year
and is in good health, most vets will do this).

Tapes usually run hand-in-hand with fleas. If either cat has fleas you
need to iradicate them as well, or the cats will continually be
infested with tapes.

Good luck!

-L.