Old April 8th 05, 07:11 AM
MaryL

"icedog" wrote in message
I am at home all day with Chloe so whenever she needs to go she indicates
and I let her into the garden, leaving her out until she indicates to come
in.
She has developed a habit of coming in then, when I am not around
going to her litter tray, doing nothing, but scrapping all the litter out
onto the carpet. Sometimes I have to clear up after her 3/4 times a day.
It is hurting me 'cos I have had a stroke, 2 heart attacks and a hiatus
hernia. Clearing up is a painful effort and getting beyond me. She is not
kitten, almost 10 years old so why? No feline psychotherapists please.
How deep should the litter be?
I don't want to discourage her from using the tray if
needful. There is no point in telling her off after the event; she is a
cat
after all and won't understand. Anyway she knows that she has done wrong
because she goes to her bed upstairs and feigns sleep.
Help, please!!!

Icedog.

I seriously doubt if Chloe knows what she is doing is "wrong" (at least, not
in the way that we hoomins use that concept). Nevertheless, a possible
solution is to use a much deeper litter box. I first used the "large-size"
standard-type litter box for Duffy, but he would sometimes back up and let
his back end hang over the side. So, I bought an extra-large covered box
(with hood) because the sides are much higher on those, then I discarded the
hood. That worked like a charm, and I have not had any problems since. You
might want to try that. Incidentally, you mentioned some physical
disabilities, so I think this would be easier for you than the oversized
plastic "bins." When I want to completely change litter, I simply pull a
large trash bag around one end of the box, tip it up on end, and dump the
contents into the trash bag. Then I clean the litter box and refill it.

MaryL