Old October 31st 12, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default I spoke too soon (about the cat sitting)

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I swear, I need to learn to say "no" to my neighbor when she asks me to cat
sit. She *assures* me there is plenty of cat food and cat litter, but that
is never the case!

Schwartzie is on the same prescription (k/d) kibble Persia eats. She left
about 1/3 of a 4 lb. bag with instructions to just add a scoop to what is
left from the day before. When I went over this morning the bowl was
empty! I put two scoops in his bowl and looked in the bag... there *might*
be enough for another couple of days. I've been adding a little of
Fedders' c/d to try to stretch it, but there's not much of that left,
either. There is plenty of Fancy Feast but they aren't supposed to eat
only that. sigh

As for kitty litter... I used up the remainder of the Tidy Cat's jug
(there was only about 1/4 of it left) yesterday morning. I saw a box of
Arm & Hammer kitty litter right there, so I thought no problem! Except
the box has been opened and is only half full! She has two cats, one
litter box and it needs to be scooped twice a day. I don't think this is
going to last until she gets home Saturday night.

Okay, I can take over a bag of cat litter since I got a great deal on
Cat's Pride scoopable clumping litter (10 lbs. for $1.50 after the
coupon!). But I pay $34 a bag for the prescription food for Persia and
I'm not about give it away just because she didn't plan ahead.

I really don't understand it. If I was going out of town for a week I'd
make sure I had at least two weeks worth of *everything*. Next time,
unless I can inspect her supplies the day before she leaves, I won't just
take her word for it. I should have learned by now.

Sorry, just venting again. I do love her cats. They're sweet, loveable
boys. But this is bordering on ridiculous.

Jill

I always make sure there are boxes and boxes of food pouches - probably 8-10
weeks worth stored up for Boyfie in case I get admitted to hospital and that
was certainly needed when I broke my ankle.
I'd probably say to your neighbour when she comes home "I am happy to look
after your cats but this will be the last time unless you provide enough
food/litter/whatever to last while you're away otherwise you'll have to find
someone else"

Or, as I said in my post, inspect her cat supplies before I say yes.

And stick to that decision. It's not up to you to provide for her cats and
just tell her you won't be buying any food or litter while she is away.
She's taking you for a fool as we say.

No, she's not *taking* me for anything. She always only just cuts it close
with the food (usually there is plenty of litter). So far I've never had to
buy food or litter for her cats. This time, it seems she's pushing it a
little.

If I had to go to town to buy the prescription food for either cat, I'd
leave a receipt, of course she'd pay me back. Why didn't she just buy
another bag of the k/d and the c/d before she left? (sigh)

Jill