Old November 3rd 03, 11:21 PM
Sara

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:28:23 GMT, mr cat wrote:

We are moving to a condo on the 12th floor. The bldg is very
particular about making any changes to the balcony, so an enclosure
would have to "blend in".

The space is long and narrow - probably 20ft long by 6 ft wide. The
railing is new - clear plexiglass with a 6-8" gap at the bottom to
allow for drainage. The top rail isn't wide enough for a cat to sit
on (or try).

I'm looking for any ideas or products on the market that would allow
me to discretely fence in a portion of the balcony to allow my cat
access. She currently has 24hr access to a 3rd floor wood balcony
that I have been able to "cat proof".

I had a "kitty pen" made out of an upstairs deck (small, maybe 10' by
10') that has an aluminum roof. The carpenter built frames that slip
under the railing, other ones that attach to the overhang.
Insect-proofing was not a requirement, so we put 1/2 inch screening on
the frames. The frames are removeable and the whole thing could be
dismantled in maybe an hour. Cost was reasonable, and would have been
even more so if I was handy enough to do it myself. The cats love
being "outside" and I love them being safe!
Hope this helps - Sara