Old February 26th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default P-ing Candace Scottie

-L. wrote:
How is your Orange Guy doing? Please update!

-L.

Lyn, unfortunately, he's not doing very well. He seemed much better
and had 5-6 days where he ate a lot and didn't regurgitate (that was
while on pred 5 twice a day). Then it quit working a week ago today, I
think (I can't seem to keep track of it all). The following Monday I
took him back to the vet where they gave him a long-lasting steroid
injection (methylprednisolone acetate). On Wed. he ate like a horse
(liquified a/d) and didn't regurgitate. Thursday he started
regurgitating again. Friday I took him to the vet where they gave him
solu-cortef as a short-acting steroid and more MPA. That was
yesterday. Today he is eating very small amounts of the gravy from
various cat foods. Won't eat a/d anymore. Isn't really regurgitating,
although he did a little saliva a couple of times. He seems to gag on
his saliva 4-5 times a day. He is up and about and fairly active but
not as active as he was a couple of days ago.

The next thing I may or may not do is have an endoscopy. It's only
$420 which, compared to what we have already spent, is not much but one
part of me doesn't want to put the poor little guy through any more.
He's been hauled to the vet repeatedly, he hates it, and I hate to have
him go in for an invasive procedure. They think he may have
megaesophagus or some other condition where his esophagus is flaccid.
I guess it probably isn't an irritation from the feeding tube like I
had originally thought as that has been out for 2 weeks now and I would
think there would be some improvement if it were that. Instead, he is
worse as he originally wouldn't gag on his saliva.

He now weighs 8 lbs. 12 oz. when he used to weigh almost 11 pounds. I
don't think he is in pain although I know he is uncomfortable when he
gags and regurgitates. He kind of has to lay with his head in a
vertical position; if he puts his head to the side for very long, he
seems to gag on his saliva. It's just so mystifying. I don't really
know where to go from here. Maybe it's almost his time. He's not yet
9 (will be in the spring) and I hate for him to have to die but I also
hate for him to suffer even more. It's very heartbreaking because he's
such a sweet little guy that enjoys playing and being held; I know he
wants to live (well, I know all animals want to live instinctually but
he seems to have a zest for life).

Thank you for asking.

Candace