Old May 26th 05, 06:18 AM
Ajanta

Thank you for your detailed advice. I went to Petsmart and bought an
assortment of Nutro, IAMS, and Science Diet cans to give them a try.

(I am glad that thanks to all the good advice I received I avoided what
I would have been most likely to buy otherwise: 24-can packs of Whiskas
or Friskies!)

I spent a lot of time reading labels. Must say I was concerned that
even premium food had by-products and corn/rice listed among
ingredients, like cheaper brands. Maybe it ia a matter of percentage?

Another customer who was there said she buys premium food but likes
to economize by mixing dry food with wet. Does this seem like a good
idea to people here ? (She uses 1 Tbsp wet with 1/2 cup dry.)

Thanks again for all the help.

A.

: 1. Is dry food better or wet food, or some kind of rotation?
:
: Wet food is *always* better than dry food. Cats are carnivores, there is
: no reason to feed them corn or rice. Read the ingredients list and judge
: for yourself.
:
: 2. We can't afford to go too premium but also don't want to feed her
: junk food that's bad for her. Are there any "best value" brands to look
: for? What kind of stores are best?
:
: You will find the lowest prices at the big chain stores (Petsmart,
: Petco). From the brands sold there, the best is Nutro. Look for stuff
: without by-products and with meats at the top of the ingredients list.
: If a grain is one of the top 3 ingredients, don't buy it.
:
: 3. If she doesn't finish the food, can the left-overs remain in the
: bowl to be eaten later, or should they be discarded?
:
: Canned food will go bad eventually, it depends on the weather. I feed
: my crew canned food twice a day, if there are any leftovers by the time
: of the next feeding, I toss them.
:
: 4. In case of canned food, if we don't use the entire can, can the
: unused portion be refrigerated and used next day? Should it be given
: cold, or microwaved?
:
: Most cats prefer their food at room or body temperature, but some will
: eat it cold. If she won't eat it cold, try warming it a bit by taking it
: out a couple of hours before feeding. I would avoid the microwave, since
: it produces very uneven results (some parts of the food will be too hot,
: some cold).
:
: 5. Do cats like to eat at a definite spot, from a fixed bowl, etc?
:
: Yes, cats are routine loving critters and most prefer to eat on the same
: spot every day. Avoid plastic dishes, metal and ceramic are best.
: Instead of buying overpriced cat bowls, buy regular people dessert
: plates at Target, they're cheaper.
:
: As you can see, we know nothing. All pointers would be greatly
: appreciated.
:
: It's great that you've decided to adopt a cat. They are wonderful
: companions. Please do keep coming with questions and comments, we're
: here to help.