Old June 4th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default Chips and cancer

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
I have been reading terrible things about the transponder chips. They are
calling it the "cancer chip." I have a cat that came to me pre-chipped. I
am seriously considering having it surgically removed. My sister did this
to her two chipped cats and it as not especially easy for the surgeon but
the results were quite good.

Has anyone any thoughts?

I don't know anything about removing the chips. However, my vet did tell me
some time ago that there are concerns about cancer at the site of chips.
It's ironic because they were (and are) touted as a way of protecting our
pets. Mine do not have chips because they are entirely indoor pets, but the
subject came up when I mentioned to my vet that there have been
recommendations that even indoor cats should be microchipped "just in case."
I decided against it after that conversation.

MaryL