Old July 2nd 09, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default New cat or not?

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 22:26:28 -0700 (PDT), jamina1
wrote:

Hello!
Recently in March my cat Sylvanas passed away. At that time, my other
cat, Pagan, had been in the house for about 7 months, and they were
finally starting to get along and play with each other instead of just
giving each other dirty looks. They were even sharing the bed with me
at night (both of them!)

Since Sylvanas left us, Pagan has transformed into a completely
different cat. She is loving, affectionate, and overall much more
needy of attention then she was before. In fact, its gotten to the
point that I am worried for her mental health when I am at work for
extended hours. She never used to demand so much attention, but now
when I get home she is at the door waiting to see me and rolling over
on the floor begging to be pet. I always give her the most attention
possible when at home and she loves keeping me company while I am on
my computer and she sleeps with me every night.

I'm contemplating bringing home a new companion for her - since she
was the companion to solve the problem of Sylvanas being alone all day
while I was at work. That worked out well until Sylvanas became ill
and passed.

Am I making up my worry for Pagan's mental well being, or should I aim
to give her someone to "talk to" and play with when I am not home?

I understand that there are some cats that have to be the only cat in
a house, but that is really the minority. I will always have two (ok,
maybe three) cats so they can take care of and entertain each other.
Besides, how can you have an indoor road race with only one cat?

The introduction can be tricky though. Tons of information on internet
on how to do it right.