Old July 15th 13, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Seeking advice re lung cancer

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 14:09:10 -0700, "Bill Graham"

On Monday, June 24, 2013 4:24:21 PM UTC-7, wrote:
We have a single family pet, a female Manx cat, who is 13 years old.
We have had her since a couple of months after birth, having adopted
her from a friend. She has always been an indoors-only cat, and has
been well cared for. She has lost some weight recently. The vet took
x-rays and blood work, examined the x-rays and test results, and had
them also reviewed by a radiologist. Before we got the test results
back, the vet had suggested we try feeding baby food to help get her
weight up, and we have been doing that with success. When the
results came back, the vet and radiologist both agreed that there is
lung cancer (spots on the x-rays), and that the blood work indicates
there is not pneumonia. The vet says our cat could die at any time,
and is, or may be, in some discomfort. We are not sure whether the
cat is in pain, although she has probably been more sedentary than
usual recently. Our vet is a long-time personal friend, whom we
trust very much, and we have no reason to doubt the diagnosis. Our
family has a strong emotional attachment to this cat. We are
struggling with what to do, including whether to have her put to
sleep, and if so, when. As far as trying to save or prolong her
life, the checkup and tests ran a few hundred dollars, which we can
afford, but costs over $1,000 would be difficult or unrealistic for
us. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you.

I was the original poster to this thread:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...av/nuGihsE--8I

Thank you to everyone who contributed.
Your posts helped us a lot and we finally had our cat put to sleep
recently.
It was just an injection from our vet, while our daughter was petting
her, and she went out quickly.
It was a difficult situation, but it really was time.
She had a good, long life.
Thanks again very much.

This is often the best course of action to take. I wish, were I to get some
debilitating disease that wouled cause me a lot of suffering and hospital
time, that someone would sneak up behind me and dispatch me so easily.
Unfortuantely, us humans have it set up for us to suffer needlessly.

Slippery slope argument - although I think we need some way of
accomplishing this. Still, at least for pets it is often the best
thing to do although it hurts us so much. Condolences to the OP.