Old January 13th 04, 11:32 PM
Drue

Default Request for advice: 30 too late to become a vet?

Hi.

I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
veterinarian. For the past ten years, I have enjoyed a fairly
lucrative career as a software engineer, but now I am very serious
about changing my line of work as I don't want to be in the computer
business my entire life. I'm told that pursuing a second career
relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
it anyway.

Why veterinary medicine? I have had a life long interest in scientific
learning as well as a love for and understanding of animals. Even as a
kid I loved animal care taking and exhibited a relatively good ability
to recognize and evaluate animal health conditions.

While software engineering may have paid better than vet med, I'd like
to pursue a career where I can exercise my scientific skills while
performing some measure of stewardship towards nature. And, needless
to say, I really crave the satisfaction that comes from making a sick
patient well.

So, what do you think? In general, is 30 generally too late in life
to begin studying to be a vet? I think I'll need to go back to school
and earn another bachelor's degree that will cover my pre-veterinary
work before I can even consider med school. I have a long way to go.
Is there enough time at my age?

Thanks so much for reading this and for your advice,
Drue