Old February 21st 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Best way to convince kitty to eat wet food?

Why would you feed a cat with kidney failure dry food when it already
needs extra fluids? My point was that it would be better for this cat
to eat a high-quality canned food than a dry food that greatly reduces
its fluid intake?

It would *not* be better for this cat to eat a regular canned food over a dry
renal food. As long as a cat drinks water, a dry food is fine. When it eats
canned food, it drinks less water as canned is 70+% moisture. When it eats
dry, it drinks more water as dry is only 10% moisture. Therefore, as long as
it's water intake is good, dry is fine. Again as an example, my sister's
renal cat has been eating dry renal food for 10 years and she only started
getting canned renal food a couple of years ago, not to increase her water
intake as she is a good drinker, but because she likes canned.

By the way not sure why you suggested Wellness or Nature's Variety instead of
a canned renal food. They are not made for renal disease.

NanCe