Old February 21st 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Best way to convince kitty to eat wet food?

She's an 8 year old DSH that, I believe, is highly inbred. I got her from
my hay guy, and she has several issues: missing teeth, poor vision, oddly
shapped legs and head, and her kidneys are about half normal size.

Ah, poor little girl; just makes her sound more lovable though.

Her creatinine is 3.1, down from 3.7, which is down from 3.9. Her
phosphorus levels are low; her calcium levels are slightly elevated. The
creatinine labs are at roughly two week intervals. Initial labs were drawn
prior to a tooth extraction (one dead tooth in a mouthful of nice healthy
ones.) Urine was pulled at the time of the tooth extraction and she was
found to have a raging kidney infection, and we put her on 2 weeks of
Clavimox. Urine collected after the antibiotics showed nothing abnormal.

That's good it's cleared up.

I plan on pulling another set of labs in about a month, to see what
direction we're heading. She's acting more like a normal kitty since we
resolved the kidney infection and added the fluids. I'm not sure how the
food is affecting her, but figure it must be helping her kidneys.

Good idea. Who knows, maybe the numbers will have come down now that the
kidney infection has been resolved. The fluids and food can be helping too.
It'll be interesting to see her numbers next month, bet you can't wait!

NanCe